AN POST IRISH BOOK AWARDS Shortlist Terms & Conditions 2020
The full shortlists will NOT be announced until 20th October at the virtual media event to launch the titles and the national promotion for the shortlists.
All shortlists are therefore STRICTLY EMBARGOED until then and we ask for your full observance in order to maximise the impact of the launch. It is very important that we are able to liaise with publishers/authors closely about awards logistics including possible filming/interviews etc and we would like to send goody bags to all shortlisted authors in time for the shortlist launch.
Key dates and 2020 information:
Shortlist promotion phase:
This year we will be announcing the shortlist virtually on 20th October. The shortlist promotion period begins from the 20th October until the winners virtual ceremony 25th November, with point of sale showcased instore with retailers and libraries, shortlist social media campaign, the public vote to help decide the winners in each category and our shortlist media campaign.
Winners ceremony & promotion phase:
The winners ceremony will take place on 25th November and will be virtual. From the 26th November will be the winners promotion – again instore/libraries, on social media and with our winners media campaign. The winners promotion will showcase these titles as the best books of the year in the run up to Christmas. There is a very large campaign planned for the vote for the overall An Post Irish Book of the Year, which we hope will be a Christmas bestseller.
RTÉ TV show:
The day before the TV show is aired we will be announcing the top 7 titles in the overall vote for the An Post Irish Book of the Year and the International Recognition Award recipient to promote the TV show to viewers. The TV show will be aired 10th December – Re-worked hour-long TV show agreed and part commissioned by RTÉ1 – hosted by Ryan Tubridy, the show will not be ceremony highlights but will be interviews with some of the winning authors and will also announce the overall An Post Irish Book of the Year.
An Post Irish Book of the Year:
From the 11th December there will be a big focus on the overall An Post Irish Book of the Year.
Shortlist stage – The team at Unique Media may be in touch to ask some authors to gather in the GPO courtyard on 19th October, this will be to take some photos/video interviews (socially distanced) but will not involve all shortlisted authors. This will all be subject to the latest Covid 19 guidelines at the time and Unique Media will be in touch direct.
Winners stage – If one of your titles is selected as a winner of an award, you will be contacted confidentially before the virtual winners ceremony. We would like to organise acceptance videos before the winners ceremony on 25th November. In addition our TV production company will be contacting certain winners to arrange interviews on location for the TV show, this will be completed by 6th December.
Book availability and stickering
Publishers must ensure that titles are generally available in the Irish market, throughout the promotion. It is particularly important that all winners and the title that goes on to win the An Post Irish Book of the Year are easily available for the public to buy in the run up to Christmas. Wherever possible, if new quantities are being printed, publishers must ensure that all stock of the shortlisted titles is stickered with the official logo at source (by either printing and affixing stickers to books, or printing directly onto the book). Official sticker artwork can be obtained from firstname.lastname@example.org. Quantities of stickers are also being sent to all participating retailers.
We will be producing winners stickers for winning titles and we are creating a special award and logo for the overall An Post Irish Book of the Year, which will be given to the publisher of this book. It is very important that copies of this title can be stickered/labelled as the overall winner and we will be in touch with the publisher to organise this.
Promotional Levy Details:
The official promotional levies are as follows:
• €175 per shortlisting
• €575 per winning title in each category (except the title which goes on to win the An Post Irish Book of the Year)
• €750 for the An Post Irish Book of the Year
The fees are levied to cover the costs of the overall project management, publicity and design, printing and distribution of the point of sale. This levy covers the key retail phase of the campaign, the shortlisted titles inclusion within all marcomms and press releases and the increased level of media exposure and retail space afforded during the promotion.
URGENT REQUIREMENTS AS FOLLOWS:
Please do the following ASAP by email to Bert@agile-ideas.com:
- confirm that you wish the title/s to go forward to the shortlist/s
• confirm the precise book details as they should appear on all printed materials
• confirm the name of illustrator/photographer/ghostwriter etc where appropriate
• confirm that your author/s will try their best to be available for filming/interviews should they win their category and whether we should be in touch with you as their publisher or the author direct to liaise on these type of logistics
• confirm that your title/s will be generally available in the Irish market
Please do the following ASAP by email to email@example.com:
- send book jacket for the relevant format and author photos – as jpg files (300dpi and at least 10cms high) VERY URGENT
• send blurbs & bios (blurbs to be 50-60 words)
• author’s addresses for goody bags or if you would prefer for us to send to you to send on
• if you are happy for us to use pdf extracts from the book please also send these on for use on the awards website
• where applicable, send over ISBNs for the current edition and ebook ISBNs
Please also send the following to the below addresses ASAP:
- 10 copies of each shortlisted book should be sent to Breda Brown, Unique Media Ltd, 600a Cathedral Court, New Street, Dublin 8
- 3 copies of each shortlisted book should be sent to Luke Giles, Agile Ideas, Glove Factory Studios, 1 Brook Lane, Holt, BA14 6RL, UK.
General & procedural enquiries: Bert Wright – Bert@agile-ideas.com
Production & point of sale: Danielle Bowers – Danielle@agile-ideas.com
Press & media enquires: Breda Brown & Sarah Doyle – firstname.lastname@example.org & Sarahdoyle@uniquemedia.ie
Design enquiries: Rob Garraway – email@example.com
Website and social media enquiries: Martha Collin – Martha@agile-ideas.com