Writing.ie Short Story of the Year
The Irish short story has a distinctive place in the modern Irish literary tradition and many of Ireland’s most celebrated writers have been practitioners of the genre, Stories submitted for this category must be original fiction, i.e. neither a reprint nor adaptation of a previously-published work, and all stories must have been or will be published in English or Irish during the qualifying period. Stories published in Irish must be supplied with an English translation.
- 2018 How to Build a Space Rocket by Roisin O’Donnell
- 2017 Back to Bones by Christine Dwyer Hickey
- 2016 The Visit by Orla McAlinden
- 2015 A Slanting of the Sun by Donal Ryan
- 2014 Rest Day by John Boyne
- 2013 The Things We Lose The Things We Leave Behind by Billy O’Callaghan